Sunday, January 14, 2024

Na hodare hoga bahudu

 I often wonder what makes us who we are. School education aside it is the stories we listen to since childhood that define our values and build our character.


Stories - big, small, and diverse.

One such story was narrated to me by my great grandma who hailed from the North Karnataka region. She was very well read for her times. It has been more than 30 years since I heard it. Below is just how I remember it.

Kanaka Dasa was a Krishna devotee and saint who lived in the Karnataka region during the 16th century Vijayanagar empire times. In his early years he left home in search of truth and knowledge. He traveled widely and met a lot of gurus. He asked all of them the same question - "Can I go to heaven and how?"

Not satisfied with the responses he got from the gurus he continued the search until one day he heard about a great teacher in the town of Udupi. He went to Udupi and posed the same question to the great guru - "Can I go to heaven and how?"

The great guru very calmly replied in Kannada - "Na hodare hoga bahudu" (Rough translation - "If I go, could go") Confused and angry Kanaka Dasa asked the great guru - "Why are you talking about yourself when I am the one who wants to go?"

The guru repeats the same line again - "Na hodare hoga bahudu"

Unhappy with the guru's response Kanaka Dasa departs the guru's ashram and continues his travel. He keeps pondering over the great guru's line until one day it becomes clear to him.

"Na" hodare hoga bahudu. If "I" goes could go

Stories build us bit by bit. Grateful for all the stories that came my way. The oral tradition is here to stay. I told this story to my kids today and somewhere in heaven Kanaka Dasa must be smiling.

No comments:

 Happiness is no where else. It is where you stand.