Saturday, September 30, 2006

The other side...

"Mahatma Gandhi was assasinated on January 30th 1948 by a Hindu fanatic Nathuram Godse".

Thats the only thing we know about Nathuram Godse. Whether he was right or wrong is debatable. But do we know enough to have a debate...... ? We know Mahatma Gandhi... This is the other side of the story... Extracted from Pradeep Dalvi's play " An Assasin speaks".


Nathuram: No. All the faces are unknown. Actually 'unknown' is the wrong word to use in this ... All your faces are very fresh to me...fresh and new. They are, of course, new to me, but mind you, they are not unfamiliar.

The youngsters among you, were not even born at that time. You must have read about me as a Hindu fanatic in the history written by the government. The middle-aged amongst you must be very confused clinging to their parents, who in turn were running around to save themselves from the massacre of Brahmins as the outcome of the assassination -- asking: 'Who is the Nathuram? Why are our houses being burnt because of him?"

But the elders among you... You must remember me! You must have heard about me on the radio. Some of you might have read Agrani, the newspaper run by myself and Nana Apte. Some of you might have attended my meetings and heard my speeches. Some of you may be knowing me directly or might have met me, but must be refusing the acquaintance after January 30, 1948.

Do you know how old I am? eighty-eight, nearly 90! Do you think I am lying, because I look young? Do you know, the mystery behind my youth is my death. My death...it was untimely, but it was heartily accepted!

I was born at the beginning of this century on May 19, 1910. My father Vinayakrao was in the postal service, my mother's name was Laxmi.

Vinayakrao was drawing a salary of Rs 15 per month. He used to spend Rs 10 on his family and send Rs 5 to his parents. Vinayakrao and his wife had three sons, none of them survived. They prayed to God, had their fourth son, Nathuram. Nathuram survived because they were destined to suffer for their young son's death and Gandhi was destined to be assassinated.

The rest of my life was very smooth.

I never stole in my childhood, so there was no question of apologising to my father. I never took a vow of celibacy as I was already practising celibacy. I was moving around the refugee camps and helping the destitute with food and clothes. But I did not wander half-naked because the refugees were naked. I never spun yarn, never cleaned my toilet, never observed silence till I was hanged. There was only one common factor in Gandhi's life and mine. We were both the cause of each other's death. He wanted to live for his principles and I was prepared to die for my principles.

But the interesting part of the biography of Nathuram Godse starts on January 30, 1948. After the assassination of Gandhi.

In a sense, I lived only for 655 days -- from January 30, 1948 to November 15, 1949. But January 30 was an outcome of January 13.

The central government had taken a decision -- Pakistan will not be given Rs 55 crores. On January 13 Gandhi started a fast unto death that Pakistan must be given the money. On January 13, the central government changed its earlier decision and announced that Pakistan would be given the amount. On January 13, I decided to assassinate Gandhi.

- Pradeep Dalvi in the play " An assasin speaks"
http://www.nathuramgodse.com/index.php?playid=1

7 comments:

Pritesh Jain said...

Dude.. This one is really thought provoking. I am linking my blog to this entry. Everyone must read it.

Rohan said...

yes.. read the whole play if u get time... it adds yet another perspective to the way we percieve India's history..

Maddy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maddy said...

I attribute my current knowledge of the life and biograpghy of Nathuram entirely to u. And it seemed like a whole new world revealed to me. Infact, I have become a fan of Godse and his principles since then and am convinced that he was the true martyr in the end.

Rohan said...

maddy, true martyr or not... I felt it's worth knowing the other side.. ideologies do clash.. and we choose one among them.. most of the times one goes into oblivion.. and we choose the one which remains.. it's not necessary that one among them should be right.. and the other wrong..

Goli said...

Good link, Now it is very difficult to comment on anything, because thousands of things would have happened which we never know. But I do admire courage of Gandhiji, right or wrong.
Wonder if any of you have read "Freedom at Midnight", that is one book which gives a very good understanding of history. I guess all indians should read that. :D

Ravi Shekhar said...

i had some knowledge about the Godse background,but there are so much to know about his principles.. really its worth knowing the other side..

 Happiness is no where else. It is where you stand.